Lai Chi Man born in 1949 in Hong Kong. Lai graduated from the sculpture department of National Taiwan Academy of Arts.

 

He later traveled to Italy where he practiced sculpture at Henraux S.p.A., Carrara, which is famous for its quarries and sculptures. During this time, Lai had the opportunity to work alongside Henry Moore, Isamu Noguchi, and Pietro Cascella.
After four years in Italy, he received a fellowship to further his education in Wyoming under the sculptor, Robert Russin. And, in 1980, he received his M.F.A degree in sculpture from the University of Wyoming. During this period, he married Paulien. In 1982, he was admitted as a member of the Beeldende Kunstenaars Regeling in the Netherlands.

 

Lai returned to Taiwan in 1984 upon invitation to hold a teaching position at the National Institute of the Arts (now, Taipei National University of the Arts), where he still teaches today. Having experienced life in Hong Kong, Italy, the United States, the Netherlands, and Taiwan, Lai was able to foster a rich and diverse perspective on aestheticism. Nevertheless, it was always clear to Lai that he would return to embrace the Eastern spirit.